Friday night (day 10) I went out to a concert with some friends. I was anxious about this, due to the fact that I was going to be unable to eat or drink, but I still wanted to listen to music and hang with my friends. Let me tell you, it wasn't easy. I learned the express difference between tonic water and club soda. One has sugar (tonic) and I had no idea. I took one sip and spit it out. DEDICATION eh? I ended up having to pay another 3 bucks, making it a 6 dollar club soda, but who cares, I had fun.
Saturday's challenge. We took our shortie to a baseball game. The food at the park is not at all amenable to my new lifestyle. So, I cut up some chicken, green peppers, and cucumbers and hid them in purse. Both my boys ate hot dogs and brats in white buns, and I ate my chicken and veggies. No big deal. I did need to plan for that, or I would have been up the creek and tempted into bad choices. On the way out we saw a guy eating a GIGANTIC funnel cake, and I died a little death inside, but it passed.
Sunday - Day 12. I have now dedicated Sunday's to what I call my weekly cook up. I try to get all prepared for the craziness of the week by pre-cooking and chopping as much as I can. So this is what I made;
- 3 pkgs of chicken, baked for 30 minutes on 400 with Italian spices sprinkled on top
- 2 # grass fed ground beef with onions and garlic
- 2 steaks, which we ate for Sunday lunch
- diced and cooked jicama for 'potato like' hash (more on this later. Jicamas are complicated)
- cut green peppers, cucumbers, and carrots and put in containers
- boiled 3 sweet potatoes and mashed with some light coconut milk and cinnamon
- steamed 4 heads of broccoli and a lb of green beans for later this week
- prepped cauliflower for my "rice" pilaf recipe I'm going to try this week
- de-stemmed the basil I am going to use to make pesto today
- prepped 3 huge zucchinis to make 'zucchini pasta' with pesto for Wednesday night dinner
That preparations took my probably about 3 hours total, but I multi-tasked so it didn't seem so bad. My fridge is stocked, and I'm all set for the week.
I'm learning that there really is quite a bit you can do with meat, veggies and healthy fats. It just takes a bit of planning and imagination.
I found the Monona farmer's market (which happens on Sunday, so I squeezed in a trip between yoga classes). I got so much stuff that made me happy and made me feel so healthy. Green beans, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, Michigan blueberries, tart apples. Heaven.
So this week, I am planning on keeping up the eating, and taking a few extra yoga classes. My hand is bothering me a bit, and I need to strengthen it up!
Let me know if you have any questions about this weekend. It was a challenge, but I stayed true to my plan, and I'm feeling great.
PS. I fit into pants now that i didn't fit into 10 days ago. Ch-ch-ch-changes.....